October 2019: PHP software developer in the Magpie team (Solihull/Birmingham)
Experience, salary and promotion
This is an ideal position for a software developer with a few years professional PHP experience under their belt, looking for an opportunity to progress beyond a junior/mid role. (Quick-learning recent graduates are also welcome to apply, so long as you already have some PHP experience.) Starting salary will be in the region of £25k to £30k, with the possibility of more for exceptional candidates. (Everyone at Stickee also gets an end-of-year profit-share on top.) Promotion opportunities, in terms of both salary and responsibilities, are there for people who make an impact. Call us old-fashioned, but we believe working at Stickee can be a career, not just a job, and we’ll support your career development accordingly.
- Solihull-based tech company (near Birmingham)
- 45 people
- Client-focused, tech-driven, people-oriented.
About the Magpie team
- Magpie is Stickee’s B2B business intelligence tool.
- Our core tech is built around PHP, MySQL, ElasticSearch, Vue.js, WebDriver, Docker, and Puppeteer.
- Our clients include Apple, Samsung, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, BT / EE, o2, Asda-Walmart, and eBay.
- Working in the Magpie team gives you the opportunity to work with, and impress, the world’s biggest companies, every day. It’s exciting, and enormously rewarding to know that we achieve all this with our small team of developers.
- We’re expanding our team in the final quarter of 2019 to support our growth into European and Worldwide markets.
To be considered, candidates must have experience in:
- MySQL database (or closely-related database, e.g. MariaDB, Percona)
Candidates should also have experience of some (preferably most) of these:
- Codeigniter or Laravel
- cURL / guzzle / web scraping / Xpath / DomCrawler
- AWS (including EC2, S3, RDS, ElasticBeanstalk)
- Nginx / apache / Linux administration
- PSR coding standards
We work internationally, so knowledge of foreign languages (particularly French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Japanese, or Korean) would be helpful (but not essential).
These things are also important:
- Energy and enthusiasm
- A sense of humour
- A can-do attitude
- A proven ability to get things done
- A desire to contribute and to help steer and shape the projects you work on
Please send your CV, along with a cover letter, to [email protected], describing:
- Why you would like to work in the Magpie team at Stickee.
- Your proudest achievement as a developer.
- One thing you would change in the world of software development (if you had the power to change it).
No need for a long essay. A paragraph on each point above is plenty.
Benefits of working at Stickee
- Annual profit share. When the company does well, we all do well.
- You start with 24 days holiday (20 base days, plus your birthday, plus 3 extra days over Christmas / New Year)
- Holiday allowance rises by one extra day for each year’s service.
- On top of that you get banks holidays (of course).
- And you have the right to buy extra holiday or sell unwanted days.
- A friendly team & working environment.
- An “open” company structure in which everyone is encouraged to contribute their ideas and experience.
- Pool table, darts board and smoothie bar in the office.
- Regular company social events for those who enjoy them (and no pressure to join in for those who don’t). Recently we’ve had Escape Rooms, meals out, a “Scrapheap Challenge”, 5-a-side football, rounders, and a Halloween Party.
- Matching funding for charity fundraising.
- Gym membership.
- Company pension scheme.
- Cycle-to-Work scheme (+ lockers and shower / changing room for cyclists / runners).
- Overall, a great opportunity to learn from, and contribute to, an award-winning team with global clients.