PHP Software Developers for the Magpie team
The Magpie team at Stickee builds clever things (software, mostly) for some of the world’s biggest companies.
Following a strong 2018, 2019 is going to be an exciting year for us. We have big projects in the pipeline, and we’re expanding our dev teams to help us deliver.
We’re looking for developers at any stage in their career. So whether you’re a recent graduate, or a seasoned pro, you’re welcome to apply.
Starting salaries will be in the range £20k – £44k, depending on your skills and experience.
- Annual profit share. When the company does well, we all do well.
- You start with 20 days holiday, rising by one extra day for each year’s service.
- PLUS you get banks holidays (of course), plus your birthday, plus 3 extra days over Christmas / New Year.
- A friendly team & working environment.
- An “open” company structure in which everyone is encouraged to contribute their ideas and experience.
- Pool table, darts board and smoothie bar in the office.
- Regular company social events for those who enjoy them (and no pressure to join in for those who don’t). Recently we’ve had Escape Rooms, meals out, a “Scrapheap Challenge”, 5-a-side football, and a Halloween Party.
- Matching funding for charity fundraising.
- Gym membership.
- Pension scheme.
- Cycle-to-Work scheme (+ lockers and shower / changing room for cyclists / runners).
- Overall, a great opportunity to learn from, and contribute to, an award-winning team with global clients.
Skills-wise, here’s what we’re looking for:
↑ We’re a PHP house. PHP is at the core of most of what we do, so it’s pretty much a must-have.
(Having said that, there are people at Stickee who, when they joined us, were “mostly-Java-with-just-a-bit-of-PHP-experience” – and they’ve gone on to do great things with us. So if you major in another language, but you’ve got solid MVC & OOP skills, you’re a fast learner and you want to work in PHP, then you’re welcome to apply.)
- General MVC / OOP principles
↑ These are pretty central to the way we work, so you’ll need a good understanding of them.
(If you previously “majored” in a different SQL database, that’s fine.)
- cURL / guzzle / web scraping / Xpath
- AWS including EC2, S3, RDS, ElasticBeanstalk
- Nginx / apache / Linux administration
- PSR coding standards
↑ Familiarity with some or all of these will also be useful.
We work internationally, so any knowledge of foreign languages (particularly French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Japanese, or Korean) is helpful (but not essential).
If you can bring lots of the above to the table, plus enthusiasm, energy, a sense of humour, a can-do attitude along with a proven ability to get things done, a desire to contribute and to help steer and shape the projects you work on, we definitely want to talk to you.
If you’d like to find out more about Stickee, how we work, and the projects we’re working on, please get in touch with our software director ([email protected]). He is always happy to have an informal chat before you decide whether to apply.
If you’re ready to apply, please send a cover letter describing:
- Why you’d like to work for Stickee.
- Your proudest achievement as a developer.
- One thing you would change in the world of software development (if you had the power to change it).
No need for a long essay. A paragraph on each point above is plenty.
Please also attach your CV.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Other than that, we welcome applications from everybody, whatever your background, nationality, philosophy, ethnicity, or mobility; male, female, gay, straight, not sure, or none of the above, so long as you can help to make our software rock.
Recruitment agencies: please note that if you approach us unsolicited, we will not work with you.